Friday, January 02, 2004

Road Sage

Now we've dropped off our last rental car of our Adventure, we no longer have to worry about other drivers (except when crossing the street, obviously).

This will be good, as New Zealanders aren't very good at driving. Like people in the UK, they see speed cameras as an infringement on their personal freedom. However, it's not necessarily their speeding that bothers me. It's the tailgating. I know that since we're travelling we're not in a big hurry, and I guess that might be frustrating for the locals who want to go 120kmph in a 100 zone. However, I resent people driving up my arse (not literally). What really riles me is that some of these lunatics don't even overtake me when they get the chance - even when we get to a designated passing lane. I get the impression they just like to be close to someone, for comfort.

As time went on, I started scaring the bejesus out of the idiots by slamming my brakes on. That usually does the trick, and they pull back a good distance, terrified about what I might do next. At the very least I slow down to below the speed limit - I make a point never to give into their intimidation techniques by speeding up.

I can't wait to get back on British roads where everyone is as good a driver as I am.