Thursday, September 11, 2003

She was a cop, we were in fits. Can I make it any more obvious?

Stephen here. Every now and then I see something and think, "When I write my screenplay/novel, THAT'S going in it!" This happened to me today.

It was a bloody rainy day, so Anne's and my plans to have a good long walk around Adelaide were scuppered. We went to The South Australian Museum to look at the exhibits and despair of the school children and went to a few other free places that were inside (that was important - they had to be inside).

As we wandered back to the hostel for lunch, via the Rundle Street Mall (a shopping area), we heard the song "Skater Boy" (sorry, "Sk8ter Boi") being sung up ahead. Anne said, "I'll bet you that's not Avril Lavigne". I concurred. We couldn't have guessed what we'd see when we approached.

We found a band made up of police men and women, playing instruments (mainly trumpets) and a diminutive policelady singing. All were in uniform and the little lady was jumping around like the tiny Canadian racoon-faced manufactured pop star herself. It was The Victorian Police Showband, apparently (search for them on Google - they exist!) A hilarious sight - the choice of song made it a really odd experience. The singer was really going for it, with hand movements and all. I wouldn't have been surprised if she later jumped on a car to continue her singing.

I really can't stress enough how funny this was.