Tuesday, May 13, 2003

A saturated solution

It's been pouring with rain for a couple of days now. Grrr. This morning I could barely see out of the window - the rain was that heavy. However, it had died down a bit when I left the house, and I had an umbrella and a slightly water-resistant jacket so I was OK. I was nearly at work when I thought "Ha! I've beaten the weather. The torrential rain has proved no match for my umbrella and slightly water-resistant jacket. Look at me - I'm as dry as can be!"

At just that moment a bloody great bus drove through a puddle right next to me and soaked my trousers through and through. There were loads of people near me, and yet I was the only one who got wet. I swear I saw a smile of the bus driver's face.

I tried to pull off this disaster with style and grace, but wasn't sure how to look nonchalant when my trousers were dripping water.

Not a good start to the day on which I'm going to really annoy my boss by giving a week's notice.