Friday, November 14, 2003

New Zealand book

I've just read a book by British MP Austin Mitchell about New Zealand. Apparently he was a "pundit" over here before becoming an MP over there. It's a follow up on a book he wrote about NZ thirty years ago, and it's called Pavlova Paradise Revisited. (I wasn't aware that pavlovas were a Kiwi thing.) It's a good introduction to the country and the changes over the last thirty years. It's critical, but from the stance of a man who clearly loves the country. I've decided not to bother reading a history of the country, since it looks to me like this country doesn't have much history of interest. That's not a criticism as such, it's just such a new country and doesn't really have the interesting start that the colonisation of Australia does. I'll just pick bits up along the way. The North Island may have some good museums with displays that might change my mind.

We're just here for the scenery really!