Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Welcome to Melbourne, you loud, arguing monkeys

We left Geelong early on Tuesday morning to drive to Melbourne. We had to return the hire car by 10.15am else pay another day's rental. The race was on. The stress started as we left Geelong and realised we'd need to get some more petrol soon. We had to leave the tank as empty as possible when we returned the car in order to get the maximum value from the hire. That's a bit of a logistical problem, judging just how much to put in.

A U-turn later, we had $5 of petrol, and made our way to the big(ger) smoke. Anne was navigating using a small map in the Lonely Planet. She hates navigating, especially in cities as I get very annoyed at any mistakes and end up shouting. Oh dear.

The first problem came as we left the freeway at Melbourne and started heading AWAY from the city. This, I surmised, was all Anne's fault and should have been avoided. Poor Anne. Eventually, thanks to me and only me, we were heading in the right direction and she only made a few small mistakes after that. Near 10am I parked outside the Hertz office (on a busy street, half-blocking a side-turning, and generally in the way of traffic) and sent Anne in to find out where I park the car. TEN MINUTES later I went in to see what had become of her and found her queuing patiently behind other customers! I only wanted to know where to put the car!! I asked the lady and she told me, then I dragged Anne back to the car telling her how terrible she is and how great I am. We walked (laden with backpacks) to the hostel in a bitter, angry silence.

Not a good start to Melbourne. Fortunately, that night would prove to be better...

(Ooh - a cliffhanger!)