Saturday, September 20, 2003

Big Splendor

We saw American Splendor at the flicks on Wednesday night. This film about underground cartoonist Harvey Pekar is really interesting, both in content and presentation. Paul Giamatti (also good in Man on the Moon) is great as the main character, and the real Harvey Pekar also pops up in interview segments. Four stars - recommended.

As for the American Splendor comics, I struggle to see the attraction. I mean, who'd want to read about a normal guy's life, what he does day-to-day and what he and his partner row about, interspersed with a few arts reviews?

I mean, who'd read that?

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

I'm drawing a comparison between the underground comic movement and blogs.

And I'm then failing to expand on the comparison or analyse it any further.