Saturday, August 30, 2003

Biological clock's ticking

When we left Augusta to go to Pemberton, I decided I wanted a break from hostels and wanted a night in a motel. A TV and ensuite would be a nice change. Anne wasn't so bothered, but when we saw the state of the Pemberton hostels she soon came around. One was in town, and had a nice cat there, but looked packed with worker-travellers and was run-down. The other was 9km out in the forest and was deserted. The cabins were dire and run-down and the office was closed - bookings now being taken at the one in town. We found a motel for just $15 more than a hostel room and it was bliss!

We explored what there is of Pemberton, and this includes The Gloucester Tree - a 61 metre tree with metal posts stuck in the side all the way up so you can climb to an observation post at the top! They used to climb this to look out for bush-fires. I climbed it, and Anne didn't. I'm not great with heights. I'm not bad, but not great. I raced up at first, but later became a bit worried and my rate of ascent slowed considerably. The view from the top across the forests was marvelous, so it was well worth it.

Some Vietnamese Aussies were around when I got back to the bottom. I got chatting to a guy (when he saw my digital camera - always a conversation starter). He asked if we were married and I said no. He asked how long we'd known each other, and I told him ten years, but we'd only been together seven and a half. He was visibly shocked and tried to convince me to marry Anne. He explained that a woman's ability to reproduce decreases with age and I really ought to get a move on. Hearing this, a girl in his party who was starting to climb the tree screamed "WILL YOU STOP GOING ON ABOUT REPRODUCTION ALL THE TIME?!"

We then went to Lavender Berry Farm, a nice little place we'd read about. We looked at their alpacas for a bit and looked around. The real reason we went was to have a berry pancake (with ice-cream) and this we now did. My god - it was heavenly. My taste-buds were treated that day I can tell you. I'm telling you - it was glorious! (But expensive at three pounds, so Anne and I had to share one between us.)

Anne and I spent a night in the luxurious (basic) motel room eating hoummous (sp?) and dip, olives and pate and drinking wine. I had a bit too much wine and got a headache.

I must go now - I think I hear Anne's Fallopian tubes aging as I type.