Tuesday, April 22, 2003

Tuesday = Movie update

Four more movies to fill you in on this week. If anyone has any comments about my movie reviews remember you can add a comment below. I try to keep them brief, so you should count yourselves lucky.

As I said yesterday, we got free preview tickets to The Good Girl from Richard. This is a little indie film starring Jennifer Aniston, and has been getting some good reviews. It also has the guy from Donnie Darko (the best film of 2002!) in it, and he plays a similarly messed-up character in this. JA's character works in shop and is stuck in a loveless marriage. She has an affair with Mr Darko and things get a bit messed up. It's not a cheery film, but has enough funny moments to keep it from getting miserable. JA's pretty good it really and the supporting cast are very good too. Four stars.

We saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding on video. Anne wanted to see it, I didn't particularly. Being a good boyfriend I let her hire it (good old me). It was OK, I suppose, but a bit run of the mill. We've spoken to a few Aussies who were very disappointed by this film. This may be because there's a large Greek population here, and the Aussies know a fair bit about Greek culture and stereotypes (they're talking about making The Kumars At No 42 here with a Greek family). There's a lot of Greek culture not touched on at all in this film. I'll give it two and a half, as it wasn't too bad, it just lacked any killer moments.

We saw The Sting on video, a film made before either of us were born. I've seen this a few times before but not for a few years. I'd forgotten just how entertaining it is. Paul Newman and Robert Redford are just great in it. Five stars.

Also on video, also entertaining, and also starring Robert Redford, was Sneakers. I'd seen this years ago but could barely remember it. It's a fun caper, despite having plot holes a mile wide in it. The cast have fun and so did we. Three and a half stars I say.

We now have a three day week at work. It's Anzac Day here on Friday. I suppose that means we should watch Gallipoli...