Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Blogging all over the world

Stephen here. The idea is that I’m here for a life experience and to decide what I want to do when I grow up. However, I seem to be spending more time finding out about “blogs” (web-logs) like this. At blogger.com (where I have to go to update this diary) there are links to other blogs. It’s interesting to see a few.

Some are terribly mundane, and some are very interesting. It’s mostly American teens writing about their lives, but there are more interesting blogs (like ours, for example). This guy is a CNN reported based near Iraq. This guy has some funny things to say in his day-to-day life. This girl has some issues.

If you have some hours to kill try looking around a site called Blogarama (there’s a link to this in the column to the left of this diary).

Will blogs change the face of journalism as we know it? No – they’re mainly used by indulgent teens to moan about how unfair life is. As we all know, if you want to change the world you don’t write a blog – you write to The Metro.

That was the tweak that was

Whilst reading other people’s blogs I’ve realised that our blog is quite basic, in terms of functionality. (You can always tell a web-geek when they use the phrase “in terms of functionality). I’ve been tweaking my blog here and there to improve it, but there are some things I can’t do without access to the files on my main web page on my Freeserve site, which I can’t do until I get home to the UK.

My latest tweak is to make the archive links appear in a drop-down menu. That’s right – look impressed.

Another tweak I’ve done is to enable the web site to record each word you look at, and flag to me when you misunderstand a joke.