Saturday, January 10, 2004

Books Etc.

We've had lots of time to read in Fiji - it's very relaxing and we're making the most of it, as we'll soon be home and looking for jobs (see countdown on left - thanks to our man in Archway for that).

I've recently read:
Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - like the first book, a lightweight but hilarious book. I hope the film turns out good, though am sick of reading about Renee Whatsername putting on a few pounds.

Peter Moore's Wrong Way Home - a travelogue about an Aussie going from London to Sydney by land. Quite amusing. At least he didn't have to write his travelogue in internet cafes, grabbing 20 minutes when he can afford it, and having to put up with terrible Fijian internet cafes!

Hunter Davies's The Eddie Stobart Story - a history of the haulage company. I know know more about haulage in the UK than I could ever have wished. An interesting case study. Cheers Simon!

C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity - a 50 year old book (recent reissue) on Christanity and what it means. This was sent to me by a friend I quizzed on religion when I went home for that wedding in August. It was an interesting read, though I occasionally found myself arguing with it! I will take up my issue with my friend when I have a faster internet connection. I do now understand Christianity a little better than I did, though obviously no book is going to turn a heathen athiest into a believer.