Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Books and films

I've read a few books lately. The first was Claire Tomalin's Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self. I'd got this a while back but had avoided it thinking it may be too highbrow and hard work. It wasn't at all, and was a very entertaining look at the life of the first Blogger.

Next up, the third volume of Spike Milligan's war memoirs, Monty: My Part in his Victory. At about 120 pages, including photos, it was little more than a pamphlet!

I've just finished Jung Chang's Wild Swans. It's an amazing book, especially since I knew next to nothing about China under Mao and the Cultural Revolution. I was continually shocked by what I read. Very interesting.

As for movies, at Mount Cook we saw The Cider House Rules on video. This got Oscar nominations and I wanted to see it. Whilst it had its moments, it turns out to be a pretty dry drama, and quite dull in places. Tobey Maguire is boring to watch, as he sometimes can be. It's this sort of "worthy" drama that gives Oscars a bad name. Two stars.

It's difficult to review The Fellowship of the Ring (Extended Version) since these films are so unlike any other film I've seen lately. It's certainly very enjoyable, more so for me having recently read the books. The extended version seems overlong, but once all the films are out in their extended versions they'll make six very good films. Four stars. (The Two Towers (Extended Version) next Monday - yay!)