Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Film fun

We watched two films in our luxurious Canberra apartment. Of course, these were on network TV, meaning they were littered with ads and lasted twice the time they ought.

The first I'd seen before, the all-star A Time To Kill. This is a long John Grisham adaptation and quite competent. It was odd, coming so soon after watching Rules of Engagement which also has Samuel L Jackson in court for murder (only to decide it was justified) . Three and a half stars.

Second was Nicholas Cage in The Family Man. This was Cage in his family-friendly mode. I'd thought that he might bring an edge to this soppy tale of a Yuppie loner shown what his life would be like if he'd married. He didn't really. It was a bit sickly. Two stars.

Shae and Drew have a video - yay! We hired and watched About Schmidt the other day. I missed this at the flicks and was pleased to finally see it. I have to say I found I was a bit distracted at the odd odd role Jack Nicholson plays. It's very different to his usual roles (most of the time) and I found myself being drawn out of the film occasionally with this thought. I liked it a lot though. It's a funny tale, though also quite sad. I can't remember if Nicholson was nominated for an Oscar for this - he should have been IMO. Four stars.