Friday, April 11, 2003

Quiz night number seven

Last night was our weekly pub quiz at our local bar. Our friend Richard came along, who not only knows a lot about art and movies, but is the son of two geography teachers so has a good knowledge of that subject. This is good because, whilst Anne has a pretty good grasp on where countries are in the world, my geography is just awful.

Wayne, the quiz-master, decided to handicap us this week since we've come first every week so far. He decided to lop four, five or six points off our score at the start and I had to blindly pick which. I drew six, so the challenge was on.

The bonus round, where we often pick up a lot of points if it's about movies, was dead hard. We had to list the 13 artists or bands whose names begin with A or B who had number one hits in Australia in the 1990s. We got two right (Billy Joel and Bryan Adams). Like idiots we missed ones we really should have got like Britney Spears, The B52s and Ace Of Base! Anyway, this didn't matter as we still won by eight points despite the handicap. We should be careful not to annoy everyone there.

It's a nice atmosphere there and we stayed chatting to a few people after, including the pub manager who was on a rival team.

Magnum quest - nearly there

I've now have eight of the nine Magnum ice-creams in the Sixties Nine range. Phew ¡¦almost over. I had the Cinnamon On The Moon one yesterday. It had cinnamon flavoured chocolate on the outside. I wasn't looking forward to it, but thought it best not to leave it until last as that would taint my appreciation of the range. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, but it wasn't great. Only the Guava Lamp to go now. Thank God.

When Anne and I were sitting in the park in the sun at the weekend there was a couple nearby each eating a Magnum from this range. He had the John Lemon and she had the ChocWork Orange - probably my two favourites in the range, and the ones I had near the start of my quest/chore. They seemed to be mocking me, saying,
"L­ook at us, look at us: not being subject to an ill-considered self-imposed quest to go through every single ice-cream in the range, we can eat the best ones and not bother with the ones we have no interest in. After this weÃÓe going to go and buy the same ones again. You are a fool, and we are best."

This quest may have been a mistake. I'm afraid nine limited-edition luxury ice-creams is just too much. There aren't enough flavours in the world to make nine new Magnums (on top of their regular range and last year's Seven Deadly Sins range) without making some of them mediocre, or even unpleasant. Walls/Streets should learn this lesson and learn it well.

Pun Time!

My Magnum-misery could be lessened by a task I'm setting to make this diary more "interactive" (buzzword of the nineties). Use the comments box below this entry (and only this entry) to submit ideas for other Ice Creams which could have been in the Sixties Nine range. Here's three I've thought of to get the ball rolling.

The Viet-Naan (an ice-cream bar with the flavour of this Indian bread canÃÕ be much worse than the musk-flavoured Candy Warhol)
Barley Harvey Oswald
Cuban Missile Cassis